Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Having a Good Partner

Motivation and commitment are hard to come by for the most accomplished athletes. You aren't alone when you wake up in the morning and dread going to the gym. You aren't alone when you fear the oncoming workout. Everyone struggles to find that super human motivation that we think all the professionals have. I'm no exception to this. I love working out, being in shape, and staying active as much as anyone else, but some mornings I just can't do it. I move my fastest when I'm hitting the "sleep" button on my alarm.

So how do I manage to make it to the gym every morning? Well, to be honest, I don't. Not when I am alone anyways. Thankfully I'm not always alone. I am fortunate enough to have a girlfriend that is as active as I am. She likes to do the same workouts I do and we work around each others goals. Having her in my life has made an incredible difference in my motivation. Even when she isn't around I find myself working hard so that I can keep up with her and don't seem out of shape the next time we workout.

Having a workout partner without a doubt has a positive affect on any athlete. Even the top athletes in individual sports value their workout partners greatly. Take Usain Bolt for example. Arguable one of the best Olympians of all time places great value in his workout partner Yohan Blake, even though Track and Field is essentially an individual sport. The same can be said for any fighter and their sparring partners.

Workout partners give us that extra motivation to wake up in the morning when we know someone else is counting on us to be there. They also make it a more enjoyable experience, which keeps us coming back.

Having your significant other or roommate as a workout partner is even better. My girlfriend eats healthier than I do and having her around forces me to keep the kitchen healthy. We help each other wake up for the gym in the morning and keep each others nutrition in line.

Find yourself a friend or get motivated with you significant other. I promise it will help, and its fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment