Thursday, October 10, 2013

That Terrible Thing Called Running: Workout

I just got back from a distance run, which I typically don't do a lot of. But, this particular exercise really broke up the most grueling part of running, the mental part. I'm very much the kind of person that is my own worst enemy when it comes to distance running. I don't bring music and I spend the whole time thinking about what I'm doing, how every step feels, how every breath hurts, how easy it is to stop, but yet I keep going. How? Why? That's really what this workout is about.

What I did:
Today was my rest day. I've been working hard and realized my body desperately needed a break. In my typical fashion I was unable to not workout for one day so when went for a light run. I headed down the Morgantown rail-trail and decided to run four miles, two miles out, two miles back. I started very slow (9min mile) then took a quick breather and stretched out. The next mile was still slow but much faster (8min mile). Again I stopped and stretched. Not long, but enough to get my lungs back to normal. The next mile I ran in 7min and then again I took a short break, barely long enough to get my lungs and heart rate back down. The last mile I picked it up again and finished just over 6min. Then I was done.

What Made this Work:
Seeing as how the mental aspect of running is the most difficult challenge for me, this style of workout was significantly easier because, by shortening the distance I now had an end in sight. I always knew, at around my current pace, I would have say 2min left. "I can run for 2 more minutes." And by starting out slow it, not only warmed me up, but it also gave me a time to beat. I had a comparison to base my currently mile off of. I ran the last mile like this and ran a 7 minute mile, if I run this next mile the same but just a little faster at the end I'll be sure to beat that time. The workout gave me a slow progression, goals, and perspective. Those three things are what make the workout so mentally effective.

What you can do:
I would recommend a similar workout to anyone suffering from the same unbearable dislike for distance running as me. Start with a slow mile, like REALLY slow. Then every mile take just a little bit of time off your run. Take small breaks in between miles to relax and clear your head. Then think about the mile you just ran and move just a little bit faster. You'll be surprised at how much easier this makes running.

No comments:

Post a Comment