Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Start Foam Rolling!

I have to start this post by regrettably admitting that my girlfriend was right, yet again. Aren't they always? She has been trying to get me to start foam rolling for literally a year and a half....sorry? I, of course, never listened until I was motivated by injury. I experienced what I believe to be soreness and sharp pains along the outside of my left leg. After talking to some friends and doing some online research I determined that it was pain radiating from my IT-band, likely due to either partial tearing or inflammation. Next step of course was to get this fixed up, I had races coming up and couldn't afford the setback. Turns out that IT-band is a common place for injuries amongst runners, but it is also fairly difficult to stretch out. The best way to stretch it out is with a foam roller.

Why a foam roller?
Foam rolling essentially replicates a deep tissue massage. It lengthen and stretches out muscles and tendons which increases blood flood and breaks up any scar tissue build up. Which in turn, makes for faster recovery, less soreness later, and of course injury prevention, as I found out too late...thanks to my hard head.

As a side note, remember that foam rolling is a compliment to warming up and proper static stretches, not a replacement. It is recommend to foam roll after a workout to lengthen the tight muscles and speed up recovery.

Don't roll your eyes at this suggestion as I did for very long time. Get on this now, before you get injured, not after. It only takes 10 minutes.

Here is an article by Men's Health that explains foam rolling even more: http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/foam-rolling

Here is great link that describes everything foam rolling, including how to do it: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller.htm

Purchase of foam roller - $40, not having to admit to my girlfriend that she was right - priceless

If only.

No comments:

Post a Comment